Top 6 Benefits of Elderberry
The berries and flowers of elderberry are packed with antioxidants and vitamins that boost your immune system. They can help with inflammation, lower stress, and help protect your heart too! Elderberry is said to be the fruit of nature and is one of the most versatile solutions for what ails you. There are about 30 types of elder plants and trees found around the world. The history of the elderberry dates back to 400 BC, and was widely considered one of the world’s most healing plants.
- Major Cold & Flu Relief: Because of its high Vitamin A and Vitamin C content, elderberry may not prevent the cold/flu, but research shows the use of elderberry could shorten the duration of flu by about three to four days, along with lessening symptom severity if taken within the first 24 hours of having the flu.
- Lowers Blood Sugar: Research has confirmed that extracts of elderflower stimulate glucose metabolism and the secretion of insulin, lowering blood sugar levels.
- Encourages Healthy Skin: Its bioflavonoids and antioxidants as well as its high vitamin A content make it awesome for skin health!
- Eases Allergies: Since allergies involve an overreaction of the immune system as well as inflammation, elderberry’s ability to improve the immune system and calm inflammation helps treat allergy symptoms.
- Natural Laxative: Studies have indicated that elderberry, in combination with other compounds; can help treat constipation as a natural diuretic.
- Promotes Mental Health: In some cases, the phytochemicals in elderberry have been linked to an improved mood by acting as a natural antidepressant source. Not only this, but it has also show to relieve some symptoms of mental/emotional disorders such as anxiety and depression.More research is still warranted in elderberry’s role in mental health.